Coming Holmes: Former Falcon baseball star returns to alma mater as activities director

Abby Seitz, Managing Editor

DSC_0153After serving as everything from star pitcher to Liberty golf coach to elementary school teacher, Mark Holmes landed his dream job as FHS activities director. Holmes applied for the position after Allen Creasy announced his retirement earlier this year.
“When the opportunity arose, it seemed like the perfect opportunity,” Holmes said. “It was my chance to come back home.”
In high school, Holmes played football, baseball, and basketball. He is a member of the Falcon Hall of Fame, after earning all-district honors as a pitcher. Holmes attended Ferrum Junior College and was a member of its nationally ranked baseball squad. He graduated from George Mason University with a bachelor’s degree in education. He worked as an elementary school teacher in Fairfax County for a decade, prior to joining Liberty High School as a physical education teacher.
“I wanted to come back to Fauquier County and have my girls go through the school system,” Holmes said. “This is my home.”
At Liberty, Holmes was the head coach of the Region II champion varsity baseball squad, and in 2006, he was named Region II Co-Coach of the Year. Holmes has also coached freshman girls basketball, golf, and track and field.
“I love kids and I love sports; [coaching] was simply a way to work with both,” Holmes said.
In 2008, he took over the position at Liberty.
“When I started teaching, I knew I wanted to be athletic director somewhere down the road,” Holmes said. “It was the right time, when my daughters were a little older. I had the chance to see them more.”
Assistant activities director Robert Glascock has enjoyed the opportunity to work under his former teammate.
“We played football together in high school,” Glascock said. “It’s a great to have a local guy with ties to the school. He’s organized, and he wants to do the best for FHS.”
According to Principal Tripp Burton, Holmes’ prior experience and passion for the school were key factors in his hiring.
“His vision of what the athletic department should be, his knowledge of the school and his relationship with this community [contributed to the decision],” Burton said. “The committee found that impressive.”
Holmes’ primary focus will be making sure athletes perform in the classroom.
“Student athletes have always had high GPAs, and we want to continue that,” Holmes said. “They’re student athletes, and student comes first for the reason.”