Cheer Flips Into the Next Winter Season

Rachel Singleton, Sports Editor

The FHS cheerleading team cheers with pride at the basketball game.

From fall into winter, the cheer grind never stops. The cheerleaders hyped up the crowd and cheered their Fauquier’s football players throughout the fall and are continuing to do the same for the Falcon basketball teams. The team began practicing in November and currently practice two times a week, on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

The Cheerleaders have attended most of the basketball games of both the boy and girl teams. They say they are pretty happy with season so far. “We definitely started off strong,” said junior Brielle Philippe, “it has definitely been one of the best seasons so far.” Philippe has been a member of the team in the past and continues to participate in the sport into this season. Philippe says she loves being on the team and emphasised how they are all like a big family.

“[Your] not only a team but a family. We have a very strong bond which was seen and helped us compete this year” said Philippe.

While the team received many returning members, they also received many new ones as well. Sophomore Makayla Mackwelch is new to the team and said that when she first came to try outs, she was very nervous but these feelings quickly resolved after she met the team.

“Everyone was so welcoming and sweet,” said Mackwelch, “every moment was worth it.”

Mackwelch plans on continuing cheer in future seasons. “My cheer family is so great and I love them all,” said Mackwelch.

Despite the season going well, there is always room for improvement. Philippe said that she believes the team can improve technique-wise. “I think we can improve on being more consistent on some skills as well as focus on more of the little things,” said Philippe.

Mackwelch also had a few suggestions of improvement. Mackwelch said that she would love to work on and develop the team stunts. “I would love for us to do more complicated and cool stunts,” said Mackwelch.