DECA goes to states

Seniors Colin Steves, Kevin Sanford, Casey Adamowicz and junior Brady Burr pose and prepare for DECA’s regional competition at the Apple Blossom Mall.

Gavin Cranford, Staff Reporter

Competition is one of the most exciting aspects of being part of DECA for most members. Thirty-nine DECA members competed in districts on January 10, and 14 will continue to states, which will be held from March 1-3 in Virginia Beach.
“I was very excited. The students did very well, and there were a fair number who came extremely close to placing,” DECA sponsor Kathleen Evans said. “I haven’t taken 14 students to states in a long time, so it shows how well we did.”
DECA, an exclusive student marketing club, has over 100 members this year, a record number. Members choose from 16 categories in which to compete to demonstrate their marketing knowledge, and they receive a score based on a test and role play. To move on from districts, a student must place in the top three of the category, or be one of the club’s seven officers. Junior Parliamentarian Brady Burr placed third in automotive services marketing.
“It gives me the chance to test my marketing knowledge and skills,” Burr said. “I really like going to Apple Blossom Mall with kids from all of the local schools.”
This is Burr’s second year of competing at districts. Competition is often difficult for some of the new DECA members who have never had the experience.
“Nerves definitely set in,” Burr said. “I was really nervous my first year, but it was a lot better this year.”
New members had the opportunity to calm those nerves and gain experience by practicing on Wednesdays after school when students practice their role plays and testing abilities. Even with the practice, senior Curtis Grady was nervous.
“I was pretty nervous at first, but once we got into it, I started feeling better,” Grady said. “It was a great feeling to be able to get to states. I really surprised myself.”
Grady placed first in his category, sports and entertainment marketing. In addition, DECA President senior Kevin Sanford placed second in business finance, and sophomore Gavin Cranford placed third in sports and entertainment marketing. The remaining officers, who did not place, receive an automatic bid to compete at the state level. The final spots are given to underclassmen who came close to placing. These students will attend to gain experience for future competition.
Each level of competition becomes more challenging. Students who qualify for nationals, which will be held April 24-27 in Anaheim, California, will face off against DECA members from every state.