Girls’ Lacrosse Push Through Obstacles This Spring Season

Catherine Smith, Staff Reporter

A rough start only made this team try harder. Sticks clatter and the sound of laughing and yelling come from the fields where the Lady Falcons lacrosse players practice almost every day.
Starting the season in February, the JV team had high hopes and lots of confidence; however, they soon began to feel the hardships of having an inexperienced team. After multiple losses, they felt they were not doing the best they could and quickly became disappointed.

“It’s been rough because we are a new team and a lot of the players are new. We weren’t able to really work the field as well,” said junior Francesca Roy.

Nutrition and Wellness teacher Rebecca Hale stepped down from the position of head coach after three years of coaching JV. “I’m selling my house and getting ready to move, and it’s just a lot of time commitment. So just personal reasons,” said Hale. “It is a good thing; I enjoyed coaching. I enjoyed the girls and everything. I decided to just step away from it because he [Varsity Head Coach Mac] does have some help.”

Hale had prior experience in coaching Warrenton Youth Soccer Club where her duties included coaching volleyball, soccer and lacrosse teams. She began coaching because no one else stepped up to the plate.

“Mr. Burton had actually been the one that had asked me to help out and he likes having a teacher [run the program],” said Hale.
The girls felt that coaching was not Hale’s main priority this year, but they were sad to see her go. With the arrival of new Head Coach Kelli Munoz they did find a glimmer of hope. “We got off to a bad start, but Coach Munoz re-taught us everything, and now we are doing a lot better,” said freshman Jessica Summers.

The team saw improvement after one game. The communication between the girls became more intense, and they were proud of how they played as a team. They feel the season can only get better from now on.

“[In] our last game, our defense improved a lot more, and we were able to seal it in and not have any gaps,” said sophomore Paige Keith. “So now we can start working on our offense and shooting and really getting aggressive.”

Munoz formed an attachment to the girls and the team itself. In the beginning, they felt they weren’t being heard, so they wrote a letter to Activity Director Mark Holmes to see what he would say. The next day he called some of them into his office, and they were able to express their feelings on behalf of the team. Their parents also attended and were proud of the girls for speaking out.

Hale supports the girls and still plays a role in a team tradition. They make energy bites, flaxseed fiber snacks, the day before the game to prepare. Hale likes to make them with the girls to promote nutrition and wellness since they are healthy and protein-filled but also because it helps her stay connected with the girls.

“I didn’t want to leave them because I have a relationship with the girls,” said Hale. “I want them to know they are always welcome to come and see me. I wish both teams a great season.”