Vegetarian Butternut Squash Pasta
3 c. cubed butternut squash
2 tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
12 lbs. orecchiette pasta
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 small red Thai chili peppers*
Pinches of red pepper flakes
¼ c. fresh lemon juice
½ c. crumbled feta cheese
⅓ c. chopped hazelnuts, toasted
⅓ c. fresh mint leaves
½ tsp. sea salt, more for sprinkling
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the squash on the sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Roast for 22 to 25 min. or until the squash is tender and golden brown around the edges.
4. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, or until al dente.
5. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
6. Heat 1 tbsp. of the oil in a small skillet over low heat.
7. Add the garlic, chiles and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for 1 min.
8. Remove from the heat and drizzle the chili oil over the cooked pasta.
9. Add the lemon juice, ½ tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss.
10. Add in the butternut squash, feta, hazelnuts, mint and the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, and toss again.
11. Season to taste and serve.
*If you don’t have Thai red chiles increase the red pepper flakes to ¼ to ½ tsp., depending on your spice preference.*