Natasha Gutierrez

A current picture of Holmes outside on the Falcon field, where many gym activities have taken place over the years.

Mark Holmes

Once a Falcon, always a Falcon. FHS alumni, former Director of Student Activities and current gym teacher Mark Holmes is retiring. “Being able to return to FHS, and then retire as a Falcon is a dream come true,” said Holmes.
Holmes graduated from FHS in 1981. He received his Associates Degree from Ferrum College and his Bachelors from George Mason University. He then went on to pursue his Masters at Shenandoah University.
Holmes’ teaching career began in Fairfax County where he taught elementary level physical education (P.E.). After 10 years there he became Brumfield’s P.E. teacher. Then, he transferred to Liberty High School as teacher and Director of Student Activities.
When FHS’s Director of Student Activities retired in 2013 Holmes returned to fill the position. In 2019 he switched over to a teaching position in the P.E. department. Holmes said, “FHS is family to me. I will deeply miss the people that make FHS the high school.”
He is retiring because he said, “it is simply time to open a new chapter in my life.” He has many great memories of “working with the great people of FHS,” said Holmes. “I was fortunate enough to finish my Career working with the most amazing department—the Physical Education Department.
Outside of school he enjoys fishing and golfing. While he will miss FHS he is planning to enjoy retirement, he is “able to do as much, or as little as I want,” said Holmes. Over the years he said his goal has been to “try and mold young students into productive adults.” He leaves students with this message, “Enjoy today—–because nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.”

A 1981 senior picture from the Eyrie. Holmes is an FHS alumni. (Natasha Gutierrez)

The Falconer • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Falconer

All Comments (0)

COMMENTS MUST BE MANUALLY APPROVED BY STAFF BEFORE THEY BECOME VISIBLE. Please remember to follow our comment policy when posting.
Viewing All Approved Comments Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *