Hayley Ponn: Volunteer Firefighter

Provided by Hayley Ponn

Ponn enjoys her first day as a volunteer firefighter.

Hayley Ponn, a senior at FHS, joined the Fire Science program along with 12 other Fauquier students.

Fire Science is a double block elective course that teaches students how to fight fires, handle hazardous material incidents and protect the lives of our community members. In class, students learn about firefighting careers and the basics of firefighting such as the donning of protective gear and the use of a self-contained breathing apparatus. Students also attain basic skills by working together through various practical assignments.

Ponn began volunteering with the Warrenton Volunteer Fire Company 1 this past December and credits that for her interest in the fire science program. “My main interest in participating in the Fire Science program was to challenge myself and to gain skills and knowledge that were unlike my previous classes at Fauquer,” Ponn said. She continues, “I wanted a class outside of school so that I could meet new people, make connections within the community and diversify my skills and knowledge.”

The class has thrust Ponn out of her comfort zone and she likes how different it is from all the other classes. “It is very hands-on and I get to learn real time,” Ponn said. She continues, “It definitely makes me get out of my comfort zone to show my best everyday to keep up with the fast paced course.” Ponn wants to be an asset to the community and help those in need, saying, “I want to be on the responding side, helping the situation, not a bystander.”

After high school, Ponn wants to go to college and major in environmental science. She wants to become a Park Ranger for the National Forests, which is another reason she decided to take the Fire Science class. Ponn said, “I feel these skills will transfer over very nicely into my future profession and will prepare me for the requirements of the job.”

Being the only girl in the Fire Science class is not a problem for Ponn. “All of the guys in the class are great and we all work really well together when it comes to team tasks,” Ponn said. She also thinks more girls should join the class, saying, “It is very empowering to be able to do the things we do in class and to show how strong I can be by breaking the stereotypes.”