The Gender Sexuality Alliance Club Brings Awareness to FHS

The Gender-Sexuality Alliance club strives to provide students with a safe space to support one another and discuss issues related to gender identity, self expression and sexual orientation. According to the GSA Network, the presence of GSA in schools has a positive impact on students well-being and academic performance. Meetings are held every Tuesday after school in Darrell Sirignano’s room, located on the third floor. These meetings typically consist of learning and discussing topics related to gender identity and sexuality, and making posters to educate and share with the student body.

Junior Sam Sarafin has been in GSA for 5 months and explains why they joined the club by saying, “All of my friends were excited to join,” and, “I thought it was good to be educated and to educate others.” As director of GSA, Sirignano shares the importance of GSA by saying, “Having an outlet for LGBTQ+ students provides an element of security. Students have the opportunity to meet other LGBTQ+ and make more friends.”

By the end of the term, one of Sirignano’s main goals for GSA is to collaborate with Falcons For Change. He hopes to help students organize a fundraiser in order to raise money for donations to the Trevor Project. The Trevor Project is a national non-profit organization that focuses on protecting young LGBTQ people by monitoring, analyzing and evaluating data on LGBTQ youths across America. According to their website, the Trevor Project is “committed to producing innovative research that brings knowledge and clinical implications to the field of suicide research.”