Vegetarian Pomegranate Salad with Cider Dressing
1 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
1 c. halved cipollini onions or shallot wedges
8 lbs. halloumi, cubed
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
½ tsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp. maple syrup
½ tsp. sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
1½ c. cooked farro
1 c. finely chopped fresh herbs (parsley and/or cilantro)
A handful of mixed salad greens
2 small kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and sliced paper thin (or 2 additional carrots)
2 carrots, peeled into ribbons
½ apple, thinly sliced
2 tbsps. toasted walnuts or pepitas
⅓ c. pomegranate arils
¼ c. crumbled feta cheese
A handful of microgreens (optional)
Fresh lemon juice, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place the squash and onions on one, and the halloumi on the other.
3. Drizzle the squash, onions, and halloumi with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Roast 20 to 30 minutes or until the squash is tender, the onions are soft, and the halloumi is golden brown around the edges.
5. Make the dressing:
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper to taste.
7. Set aside.
8. In a small bowl, toss the kohlrabi with a drizzle of the dressing and toss to coat.
9. In a medium bowl, combine the farro, herbs, and about ¼ of the dressing.
10. Assemble the salad on a large platter with the farro, mixed greens, squash, onions, halloumi, kohlrabi, carrots, apple and the walnuts or pepitas.
11. Drizzle with the remaining dressing, as desired, and sprinkle the pomegranate arils and feta cheese on top.
12. Season to taste.