FHS Fights Breast Cancer

Amanda Arellano, Sports Editor

About one in eight women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. October is breast cancer awareness month, and the impact of breast cancer can be seen through the stories of Fauquier High School students.

Junior Daniela Lawhorn recently found out her mother had breast cancer in February. “It was pretty scary because it was a new topic to us,” said Lawhorn. “It made us help out more. She’s the central part of our family, and if she’s not feeling her best, then we all have to pitch in.”

When asked what she has learned throughout the event, she said, “Don’t take things for granted, there’s a lot of times during her process that we seriously don’t know if it’s going to take a really wrong turn, so you have to be ready for whatever will happen.”

Lawhorn’s message to those in a similar situation is to “be patient, no matter how hard it is for you, it’s even harder for that person.”

Junior Emily Glaze found out her mother had breast cancer in 2010. “It honestly didn’t worry me at all because my mom promised me that she would fight it and it wouldn’t tear her down,” said Glaze.

With the sudden news, the family had to pitch in. “We helped her by helping out around the house and just making jokes and making sure that she knows that we all love and support her,” said Glaze. “I learned that my mom is the strongest woman I know.”

The school held two pink outs to showed its support for those who fight, and fought, breast cancer. One was during the school day and one was during a football game.