Sixteen DECA Students Move on to States

Frank Strano

DECA students attended the Districts Leadership Conference on Jan. 8 in Winchester.

Ashley Halbrook, Staff Reporter

Sixteen DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of American) students qualified for states at the Districts Leadership Conference on January 8   in Winchester, VA. Their state competition will be held on February 28 in Virginia Beach where only the top eight to nine students will move on.

The students prepare for their competitions by taking practice tests, studying performance indicators and rehearsing role play.

DECA sponsor Tiffany Tankut is working one on one with her students and could not be more excited for their competition. “I am beyond proud of my students,” Tankut says.

Sophomore Marley Oare came in first place for business management and administration. She chose to compete in this because she isn’t a huge fan of marketing and thought that business would fit her better.

She said she was shocked when she found out she had won. “I was not expecting to win anything, but I was so excited,” said Oare.

She is working hard to master her role-play skills and memorizing her terminology.

Pooja Pardabia came in third place in accounting. She has competed all four years of her high school career. Pardabia first passed a 50 question test to get her through districts, then performed role-play to move on to states.

She is mainly focusing on mastering calculations and making sure her numbers are correct.  “I am studying with Miss Tankut and doing practice role plays,” says Pardabia.

The following link will direct you to the list of Advancing Students:

https://fhsfalconer.com/3353/news/advancing-students/