How to Attend School in 2021

Catherine Arellano, Staff

Multiple learning options have been made available to FCPS1 students this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. These include the remote learning option, Virtual Academy, and traditional in person school.
The remote learning option is for students who wish to learn online because of COVID concerns. Students who choose to participate in the remote learning option are enrolled for 9 or 4 ½ weeks at a time. The remote learning option has no synchronous class time with FCPS1 teachers. Students do coursework through APEX and have contact with support teachers if help is needed. APEX work includes videos, assignments, lessons and activities that are all self-paced.
Virtual Academy is a free online learning option for students “who thrive in a virtual learning environment,” according to the FCPS1 reopening website. It includes both synchronous and asynchronous learning opportunities taught by FCPS1 teachers. It is fully remote, though students can participate in extracurricular activities and athletics at their base school. To participate in this learning option, students had to apply and complete an interview. No more students can enroll for the 2021-2022 school year.
Students have the option to attend fully in-person school, five days a week. Students and staff are expected to complete a self-health assessment prior to coming to school.
In the event of a COVID case within the school, contact tracing will be done to quarantine those exposed. Quarantine procedures have been put in place by the Virginia Department of Health (VDH). Vaccination status, mask-wearing, time and proximity are the deciding factors in determining whether or not a person needs to quarantine.