November Artist of the Month: Mia

Junior+Mia+Norskog+has+proven+herself+to+be+a+triple-threat+when+it+comes+to+art.+Norskog+is+the+November+Artist+of+the+Month+and+has+been+drawing+ever+since+she+can+remember.+%E2%80%9CI+remember+when+I+was+really+little+I+would+trace+the+back+of+my+sister%E2%80%99s+drawings+because+she+was+five+years+older+than+me+and+I+always+wanted+to+be+as+talented+as+her%2C%E2%80%9D+says+Norskog.+Now%2C+Norskog+looks+to+other+places+for+her+inspiration.+%E2%80%9CEvery+once+in+a+while+I%E2%80%99ll+see+someone+on+Instagram+on+my+feed+and+obsess+over+their+style+for+%5Ba+while%5D%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Norskog.+%0AArt+teacher+Rebecca+Graham+describes+Norskog+as+a+%E2%80%9Ctriple+threat.+%5BNorskog%5D+has+a+very+creative+style.+She+paints+beautifully+and+can+draw+life+in+a+very+realistic+way.%E2%80%9D+This+is+Norskog%E2%80%99s+first+year+taking+Art+lll+3-D+and+Graham+is+%E2%80%9CVery+impressed+with+her+ability+to+sculpt+three-dimensionally.+I+didn%E2%80%99t+realize+she+would+be+so+good+at+it+as+she+has+proven+to+be%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Graham.+%0ANorskog+plans+to+pursue+an+art-related+career+after+high+school.+%E2%80%9CI+want+to+go+to+either+VCU+or+Mary+Washington+and+I+want+to+study+art+and+design%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Norskog.+%E2%80%9C%5BMia%5D+has+a+great+eye+for+design%2C+so+she+could+do+any+kind+of+design+work+from+illustrator%2C+to+graphic+design%2C+to+fashion.+She+is+so+talented+and+such+an+all-around+great+person%2C+that+she+will+be+an+asset+to+any+art+school+or+art+field+that+she+chooses+to+go+to%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Graham.+

photo by Margaret McGee

Junior Mia Norskog has proven herself to be a triple-threat when it comes to art. Norskog is the November Artist of the Month and has been drawing ever since she can remember. “I remember when I was really little I would trace the back of my sister’s drawings because she was five years older than me and I always wanted to be as talented as her,” says Norskog. Now, Norskog looks to other places for her inspiration. “Every once in a while I’ll see someone on Instagram on my feed and obsess over their style for [a while],” said Norskog. Art teacher Rebecca Graham describes Norskog as a “triple threat. [Norskog] has a very creative style. She paints beautifully and can draw life in a very realistic way.” This is Norskog’s first year taking Art lll 3-D and Graham is “Very impressed with her ability to sculpt three-dimensionally. I didn’t realize she would be so good at it as she has proven to be,” said Graham. Norskog plans to pursue an art-related career after high school. “I want to go to either VCU or Mary Washington and I want to study art and design,” said Norskog. “[Mia] has a great eye for design, so she could do any kind of design work from illustrator, to graphic design, to fashion. She is so talented and such an all-around great person, that she will be an asset to any art school or art field that she chooses to go to,” said Graham.

Margaret McGee, Lifestyles Editor

Junior Mia Norskog has proven herself to be a triple-threat when it comes to art. Norskog is the November Artist of the Month and has been drawing ever since she can remember. “I remember when I was really little I would trace the back of my sister’s drawings because she was five years older than me and I always wanted to be as talented as her,” says Norskog. Now, Norskog looks to other places for her inspiration. “Every once in a while I’ll see someone on Instagram on my feed and obsess over their style for [a while],” said Norskog.
Art teacher Rebecca Graham describes Norskog as a “triple threat. [Norskog] has a very creative style. She paints beautifully and can draw life in a very realistic way.” This is Norskog’s first year taking Art lll 3-D and Graham is “Very impressed with her ability to sculpt three-dimensionally. I didn’t realize she would be so good at it as she has proven to be,” said Graham.
Norskog plans to pursue an art-related career after high school. “I want to go to either VCU or Mary Washington and I want to study art and design,” said Norskog. “[Mia] has a great eye for design, so she could do any kind of design work from illustrator, to graphic design, to fashion. She is so talented and such an all-around great person, that she will be an asset to any art school or art field that she chooses to go to,” said Graham.

Taking three-dimensional Art has allowed Mia Norskog to explore her interest in paper machete. She constructed the following sculpture. (provided by Rebecca Graham)