FHS Girl’s Volleyball Headed to the Region 4C Semifinals

provided by Fauquier High School Twitter

The FHS girl’s volleyball team will play Loudoun Valley High School tomorrow, at home, in the Region 4C semifinals.

Setting themselves in first place the FHS Girls Varsity Volleyball team won the Northwestern District Championship (NWDC) on April 8. “The game went really well, Handley is a great team and made it a competitive and fun game,” said senior and team captain Kate Wilvert.
The Falcons won three of the four sets against John Handley High School at home. They remain undefeated this season, 10-0. “They never stopped fighting during the match and really focused when needed to get the job done.” said Head Coach Diana Story. “I feel very good about the hard work the girls have put in prior to the season and then the work we have done during the season. It has been hard at times, but this is what a championship is all about.”
The last time the Varsity volleyball team won the NWDC title was two years ago. Wilvert, who was on the team in 2018, said, “It hasn’t been too long, but we have a whole new group of girls who worked very hard to bring victory back to Fauquier volleyball…We never stopped working, and I believe we really deserved to win it this year, so I am beyond happy we did.”
This year, though the season was shortened, the girls were happy to be able to play and have spectators attend the game. Story had high expectations for this team and knew “from the beginning that we gelled quickly and worked well together. This group of seniors has been a group I have been with from the beginning,” said Story. She knew “they were special to me and that would make an impact.”
The FHS Volleyball team will face Loudoun Valley High School, Dulles District runner-up, on April 13 at home. They must win in the Region 4C semifinals and finals to continue on to the State tournament. Story will prepare by reviewing videos of the Loudoun teams. “I know the coaches at both schools and know they will want this as much as we do,” said Story.
The team plans to keep working hard in practice. “Daniella Lawhorn, Emma Carter and I will be working on staying positive and keeping everyone in the right headspace while pushing the team to their fullest potential,” said Wilvert. “We will work on pushing each other to do our best and play our own game.”